High School Students and Families,
Welcome to the start of second quarter! I hope you all had a chance to rest and relax during fall break. Please see below for the latest and greatest updates from the high school world. You can also access this message in the ERA HS Parent Resource Folder.
Updates and Announcements:
- Report Cards: Report Cards will be distributed on Friday, October 23. Students will receive an email from their CATS Team advisor with an electronic copy of their first quarter report card.
- Diversity and Inclusion Task Force Meeting: The next meeting will be on Tuesday, October 20 from 5-6 p.m. Zoom meeting information provided in original email.
- October Board of Directors Meeting: The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Saturday, October 24 from 11:15 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Please note the date/time change. Zoom meeting information provided in original email.
- Meeting on Study Block Days: Students who have 7 or more absences or have below a 65 average will be required to start meeting with teachers during the asynchronous/study block days. This is to help at-risk students stay on track academically, make up missing assignments, and get additional help with content.
- Peer Tutoring: Our National Honor Society students are offering free peer tutoring to students who may need extra help with a class or study support. Click here to learn more about the program. Students may sign up for help beginning next week. A form will go out to students/families to sign up.
- PATH Ambassadors: We are looking for parents to serve as PATH Ambassadors, who will work as liaisons between the school and families with communication, programs, and other initiatives. If interested, please email Dr. Davis.
- Attendance and Assignments Reminder: If your student will be absent from class, be sure to notify Ms. Mitchell our front office manager in addition to the classroom teacher(s). Notifying the front office in advance does not automatically make the absence excused. Students who are traveling during remote learning are still responsible for attending class and turning in work on assigned due dates.
- Prospective Student/Family Virtual Tour: Know a prospective high school student? Invite him/her to join us for a virtual tour on Tuesday, November 3 from 9-10 a.m. Check our website for more information. The tour link will be posted later this week.
- Senior Class Drive-Thru Brunch: On Wednesday, October 28, we will have a drive-thru brunch for our senior class from 12-1 p.m. in the high school student parking lot. Students can pick up assorted breakfast treats from teachers/volunteers while eating in their cars or outside while practicing social distancing guidelines. Donations and volunteers are needed for this event. Click here to sign up.
- Fall into Fun: Come join us for some Halloween fun on Wednesday, October 28, from 1:30-2:30 in the high school student parking lot for a pumpkin decorating/jack-o-lantern contest, costume contest, and/or good ole fashioned trick-or-treating. Prizes will be awarded. Click here to sign up for the pumpkin or costume contest. If you are coming to trick-or-treat, we will have drive-thru candy stations for you.
- Orange County Library Student Accounts: All ERA students have been incorporated into OCPL’s Student Easy Access Program. More information about the program can be found on OCPL’s website and login information can be found here.
- Good News Gazette: Last year, we featured stories highlighting our students’ and staff’s accomplishments. We are happy to start this up again. Feel free to share any good news with Dr. Davis. This will be a feature in each weekly message.
- Habitat for Humanity Club: Our Habitat for Humanity club is offering a couple of fall fundraisers including a crafting event for our younger students. Click here to learn more. You can pay for the events through the ERA PayPal Donation Account or via a check.
- Support the Earth Challenge Club: The Earth Challenge Club is gearing up for the online International People’s Eco-challenge that happens twice a year. Click here to find out how you can support our students in this club and help our environment.
- FEMMESHacks: Duke University is sponsoring a one-day event for high school female students interested in computer science and careers in this industry. Click here to learn more and register for this free event.
- Remote Learning School Office Hours: Our front office will be open from 9-1 Monday through Friday for students/families to pick up/drop off items.
Thanks again for your continued flexibility and support. Let’s continue to ROAR and SOAR! Go Bobcats!