Greetings HS Students and Families,
The start of the new school year is quickly approaching, and I want to share with you several important updates for this week. More updates will be coming soon as we get closer to the official first day of school. However, weekly messages typically go out each Monday of the week.
Stay cool in the recent heat wave (or summer for those of us who have lived in North Carolina more than a year)!
Updates and Announcements:
- High School Remote Learning Town Hall: For any current families, we will have a Remote Learning Town Hall this Thursday, July 30, from 6-7 p.m. to go over the daily schedule and other updates as they relate to the start of the school year. This will be limited to the first 100 participants. Feel free to submit your questions ahead of time. Click here to add your burning questions or concerns. However, we will record the town hall and share with you on Friday. If you are attending the Freshmen or New Student Orientation, you do not have to attend this meeting as we will share the information with you then.(Link is in the original email and will not be shared publicly outside of current ERA families.)
- Previous Remote Learning Town Hall: ERA HS will be following Plan C or implementing remote learning from August 6 through September 4. We will reevaluate in late August to determine if we will continue using remote learning or if we will have a modified in-person schedule. Click here to access the virtual Town Hall meeting held July 16 that goes over more specific information and answers some of the most Frequently Asked Questions.
- Student Schedules: Student schedules will be available to view in PowerSchool as of 10 a.m. on Thursday, July 30. Students/Families may pick up schedules at school following this schedule. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Mitchell, the HS Office Manager, at email@example.com
- Staff Retirement: It is bittersweet news to announce that Mrs. Amy Daw has retired from ERA as our vocal music teacher. During her time here, she has built an excellent program and done so much for the music program. We wish her all the best! Please be sure to send her an email of congratulations. We also have a small farewell for her that we will share details with you once we finalize.
- Staff Update: As a result of Mrs. Daw’s retirement, we have a new vocal music teacher joining us for the 2020-2021 school year. We are thrilled to welcome Mrs. Stacey Parker, who has previously taught in Durham Public Schools. She embodies all the wonderful qualities we value in our teachers here at ERA. We know she will fit right in. Her email is not active yet, but we will share that and a bio soon.
- PowerSchool Access and Accounts: Students or parents who do not have access or need a password reset to PowerSchool may complete this form, and a front office team member will be in contact with you to follow up.
- Diversity & Inclusion Task Force: The Future Visions has set up a task force to support the mission and values of the ERA learning community. The next meeting is Tuesday Jul 28, 2020 5pm – 6pm (EDT). You can click here for the meeting information. Please contact Mike O’Malley for any questions – firstname.lastname@example.org.(Link is in the original email and will not be shared publicly outside of current ERA families.)
- Schedule Change Requests: If you have a schedule change request, you must complete this form and note why the need for a change. The change must meet one of the following criteria listed in the form, or the change will be denied. You may make a request from July 31-August 7. No requests will be accepted after that time.
- Communication Turnaround Time: Our high school admin team has been working long hours, nights, and weekends to get everything in order for a successful start to the school year. Please give us 48 business hours to get back to you via email as we are prioritizing tasks and communication. We normally strive for 24 business hours or less, but this is our most hectic time. Thanks for your grace and leniency!
- Chromebooks: Since we will start the school year remotely, students may checkout a Chromebook from the school to use. Students/Families may pick up devices at school following this schedule. Students and parents must complete and sign this form prior to picking up a device.
- Freshmen Orientation: We will have our virtual Freshmen Orientation this Thursday morning, July 30, from 9-11 a.m. Students and families will receive a separate email with meeting instructions and information.
- New Student Orientation: We will host our virtual New Student Orientation for students in grades 10-12 this Thursday afternoon, July 30, from 1-3 p.m. Students and families will receive a separate email with meeting instructions and information.
- Summer Assignments: All students have a summer reading assignment in addition to any assignments for Advanced Placement (AP) courses. Students registered for AP English (Language or Literature) or English at a local community college do not have to complete the summer reading assignment. Click here to access the folder with all assignment information.
- Athletics Update: Click here to get the latest updates on athletic events, teams, and practices.
Partners in Education,