High School Families,
We are quickly approaching the start of the new school year! Our official first day is Thursday, August 6. However, we will use the first two days (August 6 and 7) as orientation days for students. Students will start instruction on August 10.
Please see below for the latest and greatest updates from the high school world as this edition is jam packed with many important updates. You can also access this message in the ERA HS Parent Resource Folder (see link below)..
Updates and Announcements:
- High School Parent Resource Folder: As part of our commitment to keep you informed, we have created a ERA HS Parent Resource Folder that has information and resources pertaining to this school year. Within the folder, you will find subfolders with information about Athletics, Commonly Used Forms, the ERA Comprehensive Manual, School Calendar/Remote Learning Schedules, Weekly Messages, and more.
- Town Hall and Orientation Sessions: If you missed last week’s Freshmen/New Student Orientation sessions last week or the Remote Learning Town Hall, fear not! Just check the ERA HS Parent Resource Folder to find the videos and documents.
- Student Schedules and Device Pickup: As of this email, PowerSchool is still down and not accessible for students/families to check schedules. Students/Families may pick up schedules at school following this schedule. If you have any questions or missed today’s pickup window, please contact Ms. Mitchell, the HS Office Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remote Learning School Office Hours: Our front office will be open from 9-1 Monday through Friday for students/families to pick up/drop off items. All appointments with teachers or staff will be done via phone or Zoom conferences. All students/families/ visitors to the building should wear a mask per Orange County’s ordinances.
- ERA HS Remind Messages: Remind is an educational app designed to keep students and parents in the communication loop via text messages. Be sure to download the app in the Apple or Android App Store. We have created one just for the high school to send out updates and reminders. Click here to join or to be added to the ERA HS messages. If you already have the Remind app, the class code is: (Link is in the original email and will not be shared publicly outside of current ERA families.)
- Mobile Hotspots: We ordered mobile hotspots for students based on the results of the ERA Connectivity Survey sent out in July. If you did not complete the survey, you must do so by August 7 as this is what we are using to determine how many we order. If you complete the survey this week, your mobile hotspot will not be available for pickup this week. We will email individual families when the hotspots arrive.
- PowerSchool Access and Accounts: Students or parents who do not have access or need a password reset to PowerSchool may complete this form, and a front office team member will be in contact with you to follow up.
- Schedule Change Requests: If you have a schedule change request, you must complete this form and note why the need for a change. The change must meet one of the following criteria listed in the form, or the change will be denied. You may make a request from July 31-August 7. No requests will be accepted after that time.
- Submitted Schedule Change Requests: If you have submitted the form to request a schedule change, we are working on those changes as fast as we can. If you do not hear back from one of the HS Administrative Team before Thursday, please follow your current schedule until we reach out with an update. We will have all changes made before August 10 and the start of instruction.
- Communication Turnaround Time: Our high school admin team has been working long hours, nights, and weekends to get everything in order for a successful start to the school year. Please give us 48 business hours to get back to you via email as we are prioritizing tasks and communication. We normally strive for 24 business hours or less, but this is our most hectic time. Thanks for your grace and leniency with this!
- Chromebooks: Since we will start the school year remotely, students may checkout a Chromebook from the school to use. Students/Families may pick up devices at school following this schedule. Students and parents must complete and sign this form prior to picking up a device.
- Paperwork Required of All Students/Families: We require all students to complete the following four forms during or before the first week of classes by no later than Friday, August 14. Each is a Google Form and linked here. Both the K-8 and High School main offices have paper copies should the form not work in your situation. Any questions should be directed to our Admissions Director, Morgana Hover, at email@example.com. She will contact you if your forms are not completed or are incomplete by Friday, August 14.
- Proof of Residency This form should be completed once per family. You may upload the pdf of your proof in this form if you use a Gmail account. This documentation is required for All students on a yearly basis regardless of whether they’ve attended ERA in the past. Acceptable forms of proof are: 1) Utility bill such as electric, water, or gas (preferred and must be current within 30 days) OR 2) Lease or Mortgage statement (must be current within 30 days). The address on the proof must match the address on file for your student(s).
- EDS Form This form should be completed once per family.
- Request to Update Parent Contact Information This form is if your phone number, email, or address has changed within the last year. This form can be completed once per family.
- Student Permissions This form should be completed once per student. It specifies permissions for photos, videos, and over-the-counter medicine. During our remote learning time, knowing photo and video permissions will be critical for our teachers.
- Summer Assignments: All students have a summer reading assignment in addition to any assignments for Advanced Placement (AP) courses. Students registered for AP English (Language or Literature), AP US History, AP Calculus, or English at a local community college do not have to complete the summer reading assignment. Click here to access the folder with all assignment information.
- Summer Assignment Submissions: Click here to upload your completed summer assignments to the Google Classroom site. The class join code is (Link is in the original email and will not be shared publicly outside of current ERA families.) All assignments are due August 10.
- HS Athletics Update: Click here to get the latest updates on athletic events, teams, and practices.
- Co-Ed Varsity Esports: We are excited to announce the launch of our varsity esports program. ERA will compete as a part of the HSEL (High School Esports League) along with thousands of other high schools nationwide. If you are interested in receiving future communications regarding esports, complete the interest form. Please direct any questions to Jenny Hartingh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PSAT/NMSQT: We are tentatively planning to offer the PSAT on October 29, 2020. Registration form and $16 are due by Sept. 11 and can be dropped off at the high school office. Juniors who are interested in qualifying for the National Merit Scholarship program should take the test for eligibility.
I think I may have just broken the record for longest parent message ever sent. Forgive the length!
Thanks for all your help, kind words, and offers of support this week. Our team really appreciates the encouragement as it has kept us motivated on many days. We truly have the best teachers, students, and families as part of the ERA school community.
Let’s continue to ROAR and SOAR! Go Bobcats!
Partners in Education,